Since the skin is our largest organ, caring for it is very important. I would definitely consider myself a beauty buff and as a hoarder of makeup and beauty products, I try a lot of things and have narrowed down seven of my favourite skincare products.
The products I typically buy are a mix of expensive & inexpensive, however, I do tend to lean more towards expensive high end products when it comes to the skin. Skincare is very important to me, so my advice would be to invest in proper products you know and trust. That’s not to say that you can’t find cheap products here and there, just make sure they’re researched. For example, my dermatologist highly recommends Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.
My Top 7 Skin Saviour Tips:
1. Always wash your makeup off– this is my holy grail rule because the skin repairs itself at night while you sleep and having clogged pores causes the skin not to breathe causing dryness, uneven skin tone, redness, acne and yes – deepening of wrinkles (especially if you do this over long periods of time). Only wear mascara? You should remove that, too. It can clog the tiny hair follicles in your eyelids, which can cause irritation and inflammation, or even an infection or cysts.
2. Customise your moisturise– switch up your moisturiser in warmer and colder months accordingly to adapt to the climate. It’s important you listen to your skins needs and it won’t always need the same things so don’t get into the routine of using the same thing all year round.
3. Be gentle!!– I cannot stress this enough, use your fingertips to wash your face and glide them gently in circular motions over the entirety of it. Also do not scrub dry with a towel, simply pat dry.
4. Sleep on a silk pillow case– I started doing this a few months ago and it has changed my world. Not only is it super comfy and luxurious, but you avoid waking up with “pillow face”. It will also decrease the onset of wrinkles and help keep your skin looking younger for longer!
5. No Product Abuse– don’t use too many products and don’t use harsh products. Unless you have severely oily skin, pretty much everyone can use a gentle, non foaming, non-comedogenic cleanser. Cleansing should not be complicated, a good cleanser should remove excess oil, sunscreen, makeup and a few dead skin cells. It should not disrupt skin barrier function.
6. Wear Sunscreen– I wear SPF 50 sunscreen everyday on my face under makeup, all year round. It’s so important to protect your face from the sun even in winter when it’s not even that sunny out. You will reep the benefits in years to come and your skin will look so much younger than those who tan their faces and don’t wear sun protection. Sun spots and wrinkles form over time, to me it’s not a good look and totally not worth it (I won’t even get in to the melanoma topic). Invest in a good SPF, that you feel comfortable using! I use La Roche Posay’s Anthelios XL LSF 50+ Fluid.
My Top 7 Skincare Must Have’s:
- Cinq Mondes – Hand Cream
- Obagi Medical – Hydrate Facial Moisturizer
- La Roche Posay _ Physiological Cleansing Gel
- La Roche Posay – Toleriane Riche
- Elizabeth Arden – Eight Hour Cream Lips
- Creme De La Mer – Moisturising Cream
- Chanel – Hydra Beauty Nourishing Lip Care
* My favourite face wash of all time, LRP Physiological Cleanser Gel has unfortunately been discontinued. You can always look out for it on Amazon.com or go for suitable alternatives like Avene Gentle Gel Cleanser or Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.